League of Women Voters of the Jackson Area, Inc.
The Jackson League, comprised of the Jackson metro area and the counties of Hinds, Madison, and Rankin, has a long history of engagement and advocacy. The Jackson League meets to listen to speakers from the community, to study local issues, to develop policy positions, to advocate for League positions, and to conduct voter service projects.
To keep up with the latest news and updates check out The Jackson Voter here.
Watch Bringing History to Life, a dramatization performed at the 2010 Annual Meeting: Part 1 and Part 2
This year the LWVJA will focus on responsible conservation and development of our natural resources including advocacy around air and water quality. See upcoming events for more information.
This is the time to learn about issues in our environment and to take action! Don't miss out!
Learn more about our priorities positions policies
- The featured speak for the April 2016 Annual Meeting was Dallas Baker of the Department of Environmental Quality. Mr. Baker spoke on global warming and gave an overview of the DEQ's work in Mississippi. He is the Air Director and Chief of the Air Division.
- The first LWV-JA meeting of 2016 was held January 23rd, with a focus on 2016 Legislative Priorities, led by LWV-MS lobbyist Fran Leber, with special guest Erik Fleming of ACLU-MS. Elaine Talbot reported on the evolving League position favoring appointment instead of election of school superintendents.
- LWV-JA met November 21, 2015 to develop local consensus on the National LWV initiative "Money in Politics."
- League of Women Voters of the Jackson Area held a productive meeting on October 17, 2015 discussing consensus questions on constitutional amendments.
- LWV-JA sponsored a voter registration table at Wellsfest in September 2015.
- The 2015 Annual Meeting Luncheon, held April 18, 2015 featured speaker Donald Campbell, Associate Professor of Ethics, Mississippi College School of Law. See Prof. Campbell's notes on Redistricting here Redistricting Speech Notes
President: Barbara Powell
Vice President for Administration/Programs: Delores Lee
Vice President for Voter Service: Alice Skelton
Secretary: Natalie Maynor
Treasurer: Gene Everitt
Membership Director: Elaine Talbott
The Voter Editor: Dierdre Payne
National Items Director:
Public Relations Director: Carol Andersen
Nominating Committee: Fran Leber, Chair. Megan Tidwell, Nicki McLaurin Green
The LWVJA Bylaws were updated at the April 2014 meeting. You may review the most recent edition of our Bylaws
LWV of the Jackson Area
P.O. Box 68214
Jackson, MS 39286-8214